HOST ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
July 12, 2007
Robin Bond Capt. Vincent Atkins
Brad Rimell Randy Swindell
CDR Kathleen Moore Warren B. Ditch Jr.
Kimo Corstorphine Chris Woolaway
T roy Brown Bob Heidrich
Bill Anonsen John Regan
Michael Jones Michael MacDonald
AGENDA I T EM #1 Call to Order & Introductions
Robin called the meeting to order at 3:02 pm . A quorum was not present.
AGENDA I T EM #2 No Approval of the Minutes.
AGENDA ITEM #3 Treasurer’s Report
Chris reported that HOS T has $2,014.24 in the checking account. T his reflects reimbursements of $970.09 expended for the Harbor Safety Conference registration and lodging and $41.95 for the HOST website.
AGENDA I T EM #4 Critique of the June Membership Meeting
T he meeting went well with good discussion and information shared.
AGENDA I T EM #5 Next Membership Meeting T opics – August 23, 2007
• Ethanol Panel: Maria T ome, DBED T , Kim Beasley, Bill Mossman
• T WIC: USCG
• Harbors of Safe Refuge: Where Small Passenger Vessels find Safe Harbor ?
AGENDA I T EM #5 Pending HOS T Safety Issues
• SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Ships visiting Offshore Port Anchorages – Kim has completed the draft of the SOP. Further information will be sent to Patrick Shaw
• T ug Assistance – T om/ T roy – Public Hearing scheduled for August, there are two new P&R Water T axi tugs at Nawiliwili & Kahului Harbors.
• Shore Entry Safety Subcommittee – Will try to dove tail with the Dive Group SOP. T here are problems for the military. A one pager to the dive operators will help.
• Harbor Congestion – T he Subcommittee has not met yet. Bill Anonsen shared that he, Barry Fukunaga and Jim Banigan will be on a panel discussing the future of Kalaeloa/Barbers Point Deep Draft Harbor and West Oahu Economic and the intraisland ferry system. Bill also discussed the Army Corps looking at Kalaeloa to expand operations to make the port accessible 24 hours a day. Bill also said that this new harbor group is trying to tackle dredging issues.
• SOP 1-97 Vessel Maintenance & Repair at Anchor – One small change will be made.
• Heavy Weather Plan is completed.
AGENDA ITEM #6 Old Business
• Parking situation at the Hawaii Yacht Club – Bob Heinrich has made arrangements for meeting parking permits for HOST Board members.
• HOS T Advisory Member update: Robin discussed the need to update the Board list to make sure that all sectors are represented.
AGENDA I T EM #7 New Business
AGENDA I T EM #8 USCG Concerns
• CDR. Kathy Moore: the SuperFerry is going, completing trials and safety procedures to get ready for service: going over the route, mass rescues etc.
• For the Intraferry Hornblower folks have it in dry-dock. It is expected that the permit process will be painless here.
• T he C&C Honolulu Fire Department & Ocean Safety communications are being tightened up. T hey did have an opportunity to test this drill during the recent rescue off of Koko Head.
• T he investigation of Na Hoku is ongoing
AGENDA I T EM #9 – State of Hawaii Concerns ( DO T Harbors and DLNR)
• Mike Jones, Asst. Oahu District Manager from DLNR, DOBOR discussed: Parking at the Ala Wai draft rules are going to the Attorney General then Land Board then to the Public.
• Adoption of new rules for surf schools will do away with the blue cards and will be replaced by permits to the companies. T hese new rules will also effect outrigger canoes, surf schools, thunder boats, and windsurfing.
• Adoption process of the Kaneohe Bay Master Plan: T he Plan was submitted to the community last night; it will then be put into language for the rules; then it will go back to the community for review in three months.
•. Gill net rules: have been deemed unenforceable.
AGENDA I T EM #10 – Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues –
• There was no report from the Auxiliary.
AGENDA I T EM #11 – Announcements: Hearing no announcements the meeting was adjourned at 4:30 pm .
NEX T MEE T INGS
Advisory Board Meeting: August 9, 2007 , 3:00 pm , Hawaii Yacht Club located in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor .
General Membership Meeting: August 23, 2007 , 2:00 pm , Honolulu Community College Marine Education T raining Center located just over the bridge off Sand Island Road .